Wednesday, July 1, 2009

7.01.09

I had an interview for a cross country position this morning. It went really well up until the point where recruiting was considered. I mean the guy really liked me and said I would be a great asset to any program, but that he wanted someone in the school. I respect that, and believe me I wish they'd give the art position there as well, just show me where to sign. You see our county is cutting positions, especially in art and music, and basically all the teachers who have been working 30+ years aren't planning on retiring any time soon. It's a waiting game for teachers like me, and I ain't getting any younger. Doubly bad it's now seemingly keeping me from this coaching position, which I would LOVE to get.

But things aren't hopeless, there is a chance I can still get the job. I live really close to the school, and honestly if they really need recruiting I could run around the school all day long for a week just to see how many kids I could get to join to the team. The main reason they need kids is because a new school is nearby, so they lost a large portion of their students, about 700 of them. So I'm praying and hoping that it works out.

In running news I've had a nice long break. I seem to be ready for training again, which is the good news. Today is the first of the month, and I think that got me back into gear. I've decided to set a goal to run everyday this month. Just get back to basics, doesn't matter how far or long or when, just get out there and run sometime every single day for this entire month.

Today was actually pretty nice, with the temps in the lower 80's and dropping, with a little shade from the trees made a pretty good run. I didn't go quite as far as I wanted to because I had a stitch in my lung and behind my left knee was kind of tight - which is normal after a few days off. So as I said my goal for this month is to simply run everyday. i think it'll get me back on track.

Also thanks for the comments, I appreciate them probably more than you know!

6:00pm. home. 83° 41% From WNW 9 mph
54:40(8.01) bf 1483

3 comments:

Felice Devine said...

Good luck with the running every day -- and I hope the job works out!

RunnerDude said...

Hey man! I did a post on running streaks a month or so ago. Here's the link http://ncrunnerdude.blogspot.com/2009/05/making-tracks-every-day-literally.html Check it out when you get the chance. Sorry to hear about the job. Hopefully it will workout for you. Sounds perfect. Got my fingers crossed for ya. My wife's a 1st grade teacher and they've let over 200 teachers in our county go due to the economy and then they were talking about letting another 300 go. I was laid off in February, so we were a bit nervous. Looks like her position is secure for next year. I'm getting my RRCA running coach certification next weekend in Clarksville TN and the following week I'm starting a 6-month diploma program to get my personal training certification and nutrition consultation certification. Making a complete career change in to what I love doing, writing about, and teaching others about running, fitness, and nutrition. Scared to death but just as excited too. Keep me posted on the coaching position.

Ron said...

Thanks Happy runner!

RunnerDude - Well I hope things work out for you as well. Actually I am in the same boat as you are, thinking about switching over to personal training career, but I really didn't know how to go about doing that. I thought you'd have to go back to college for another few years and I really don't want to do that. Your plan sounds very interesting to me, hope you don't mind if i glean a little, or carbon copy, lol :)

thanks to both of you for the comments