Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Wednesday

Yesterday my calves were very tight, so I took a day of rest. If I had taken monday off instead, I would have been able to run yesterday. I figured that would happen. Next time the day after a long run I will be sure to take that day of rest to recover.

Today it was windy again. Coming from the west, but it was beautiful. Around 63 degrees and sunny. I decided to just run and see what happened, no real goal mileage in mind. Today I ran outside in my favorite running shoes, the regular nike free that I wear on the treadmill. I normally run outside in my trail nike free's which have larger and more durable grip, and less "bend". They worked pretty well, but going down steep hills I can definitely tell there isn't much around the heel area. (The shoes are designed for a midfoot strike, obviously running down a hill you have to use the heel or you will go so fast you'd kill yourself)

So down to the school a mile, back across to the huge hill. Here I slowed waaay down going up, and by the time I got to the top my quads were shot. 20 seconds rest and I was off again, another mile back to the school, and then back home. So i got in 4 miles +, but after that hill, I really considered stopping. My breathing was somewhat fast and my quads were completely obliterated. I pressed on and went back to the school again before heading home.

When I got home, I wiped my forehead and tiny white crystals like sand flaked onto my hand. Later I realized it was crystalized sweat, probably from too much salt yesterday (fries!) or the fact I had a bad bloody nose before I ran, it lasted at least 15 minutes. My nose does that mostly due to a lot of heat or quick change in temperature. Anyway, It just seemed weird at the time, as I was trying to remember if i had run through a sandstorm or something :)

Tuesday-0ff
Wednesday- 4 miles. 1.5, huge hill-1, 1.5


No comments: