Saturday, May 26, 2007

10k

8am 72 degrees, grey shoes

This week went on forever. Last week of school, trying to get papers turned in. Going around to get signatures for the check off list, getting grades done, cleaning out the art room, field days, awards, etc. Then go home everynight and organize more stuff, and do future growth plans, fill out questionaires for transfer applications, and do everything else. Tried to pick up my packet at the runners market store last night, it closes at 7. I didn't realize they stop handing out packets at 6. We went out to dinner and then raced over (there are two stores, the one I live a mile from just happens to not hand out packets, only take applications....) so we are racing to get there only to be an hour late thinking we could pick it up at 7.

that sucked. then the xbox 360 quit working. that sucked. went out and bought a dvd player, watched apocalypto-now one of my favorites- and then got everything ready for the morning.

It was a nice morning. Warm and sunny. I got up on time, arrived in time to pick up my packet. Unfortunately no t-shirts left, even though i paid for one. hopefully they will send one. I don't know. Walked around downtown knoxville and took in some air with april. then started warming up about 15 minutes before start with some slow jogging and walking. The start of the race took a while, but soon after the anthem the guy finally fired the gun.

I started toward the front, but far enough back out of the way of the elite guys not to get ran over. I wanted to go slow, but everyone's adrenaline is going and you just have to stride it out and keep a fast pace. a 6:30 first mile felt kinda fast. I knew i wouldn't break 40 at that point. 2 miles I was with a yellow shirt guy who said "doing good", and i said "yep 1/3 of the way there". He went past me, then I passed him. At 4 we met up again, and I stayed in step with him for about a half-mile and he took the lead again. There were rolling hills and I was catching a lot of people on them, including the yellow guy. Still my legs were tired and my breathing eratic. I tried breathing deep. Never did really find a good stride the whole race. I finally passed a lady who I had in my sights since a few miles back, and then a few more people. less than a mile now and the legs are burning, but my breathing calming down.

Running across a bridge, passing cars with rap music blasting out, and chasing cars who were waiting in the traffic. I could see a downhill, and then a turn before the final turn. I picked it up a little. Turned the corner, another slight incline to the final turn. Trucked past a pony-tail guy. then once i hit that final turn I kicked it into gear and sprinted to the finish. I couldn't see the time. 42 something april said. I was winded and a few people had to tear my name off the bib so they could track my time i guess (no timing chip).

Then i slipped up and after walking a minute or two found a rock to sit on. My calves tightened up like crazy and i could hardly walk. They are okay now, but I think they were just overworked. I had been meaning to work that into my routine, but never did. I could feel it, they felt like rocks, which isn't a great feeling, but it doesn't really hurt either. I suppose you could compare it to a charlie horse. The best part of the day was downing my smoothie king smoothie. and then aprils.

good day, and a decent run. Carter mill 7 miler coming up should be great, and I'll actually have time to run and do speedwork since school is out!

No comments: