Monday, May 14, 2007

happy mother's day!

70, grey shoes- monday
74, silver shoes- sunday
Today was a good run. Pretty close to my fastest 5k during my training. I actually ran the fastest one a long time ago, but I was testing the sensor then, so it really doesn't count to me. Yesterday was an experience though. I ran my longest run yet, and the heat got to me. I was running at a good pace to start, but by halfway through dehydration had taken it's toll. I forgot that when you are running over 12 miles you really need to water up the day before. This and the fact that I never stopped for a water break like normal, wasn't smart. When I finally ended the run I walked a mile to cooldown, and was thirsty the whole time.

When I got home I drank some water, then a gatorade, and had three small strawberries. I took a cold shower and started to get changed to go to visit april's grandma at the hospital for mother's day. I was feeling pretty normal at this point- just generally exhausted. We got to her parents and I was feeling the same. But when we got to the hospital I stepped out of the car and didn't feel good. I was short of breath and had to stop about 50 feet from the car. The heat was bearing down on me and I felt like I was suffocating. I kept on walking, feeling light-headed and just wanted to sit. When we got in I staggered to a water fountain. I guess everyone thought I would be fine and kept on going, but I was searching for anywhere to sit and rest.

I did and after a couple minutes got back the strength to walk again. April was giving me a hard time, and nobody seemed to understand how bad I felt and thought I was being silly I guess. We rode the elevator up and I leaned against the wall. The first thing I saw off the elevator was a chair, which I immediately sat in, then noticed a bathroom and decided that would be the best place. My stomach didn't feel good and needless to say soon I was on my knees at the sink, and thereafter some excruciating pain, scraping out strawberries from the drain.

I felt a little better after that, and went on to her grandmas room. Everyone started eating and were like, c'mon eat, and this stuff is soo good (pork and beans and greasy stuff). That just made it worse, a feeling similar to after my first half-marathon. At that point I just tried to make myself feel better, but it never worked. I sat there with my head between my legs drank water and just thought, what the heck. I felt bad for taking the glory from her sick grandma in the bed for my stupid running. finally april's mom offered me a ride home and I took it. After a four hour nap and some food I felt great again.

So that was sunday. I totally crashed mother's day, vomited for the first time in a long while, and looked like a dork in front of april's family. Awesome. At least I learned my lesson about hydration and heat. To think just a few weeks ago I layed down 14 and didn't flinch. Just proves how much I don't know.

No comments: