Tuesday, October 30, 2007

the track

Today was a much better day than yesterday. School was fine and i remembered all my gear to go running. There is always a ton of traffic afterschool and usually I'm just sitting there waiting around til after 4. So I decided that would be a good time to check out the track and go for a run. So I changed in the bathroom (we have our own for our students with benches and other things) and headed out when everyone left. I think I surprised them a little because they hadn't seen me wear shorts before.

So I ran off toward the stadium and found the track is usually open in one section. The run started off bad. Today at work we have a kid named Cody who pretty much has to be in a wheelchair all the time. It is a pain to move him out of it because he doesn't stand on his own so we all have to get around him and lift him in and out of his seat. Me and Mike did that twice and then a third time later on. That pretty much was a leg workout in itself, especially the last time because we lifted him from the floor and he was just limp. I'd say he weighs a good 160 lbs. so that's 80 each that we were squatting.

Anyway so that took all the power out of my legs before the run even started. I managed to start off well enough and get the first mile in, then stopped for a few seconds to calibrate my sensor. That went over fine with just a natural lap around the track. So I still had 5 more miles and decided I would go the rest of the way. The sensor was still off. I'd say it's 20-25 meters off each lap, so for a mile you'd have to make up at least 100m, 4 miles, 1 lap, and 8 miles would be two. Not really bad, but I know now that it is off for sure. In some of my older posts I mentioned this, but today proved it.

I'm trying to decide if I should change up my longer mileage to account for the discrepancy, but I think I will just run a little extra each time I mean for 16 miles I'd only have to run 1 extra mile. That's not a problem for me. I won't be messing around with calbration any becaus the default was off too. The first lap I ran was .38 mile when it should have been .25 (which is about the same as after i calibrated so i'm not sure if that did anything at all)

The run ended great with some 50 yard sprints coming around each lap, but it was boring. Also my knees and toes hurt. My knees hurt from the angle you end up running on the curves, and my toes must have just hurt from the track itself. It is a nice track, but I'm used to running on pavement which gives less cushion and probably makes me run differently, possibly more efficiently too?

6 miles. 65 degrees Sunny. silver

2 comments:

Ann said...

Don't forget to life with your legs. :)

Ron said...

if there was one thing I learned in the weight room it was that.

I kinda wanted to roll my eyes at Kim (the boss) when she said the exact same thing.