Tuesday, February 5, 2008

a little setback

Ah...well. Okay things didn't seem to work out like I thought, but oh well. Let's see. Sunday's long run.... it didn't happen. No running happened. We went out to eat after church, I took a nap after that, and then it rained. Either way I wasn't going to run, the motivation just wasn't there after coughing all week. So I sat that one out. I wish I run a little, but it simply wasn't going to happen.

Monday. Another horrid day. Rained all day. Made me feel even worse. Monday was by far the worst day congestion wise. I was sniffling and sneezing and coughing, and so was everyone else in the classroom. One of the students went home sick, and the others were sneezing bandits. Started getting a headache toward the end of the day. Got home, again no motivation. No one kicking me out the door. Headache had gotten even worse. I decided to put off running for the treadmill later. Ate dinner and then thought a nap might help. Woke up 3 hours later to an even worse headache than before.

At that point I went in to the bed (I took a nap on some blankets and a pillow on the floor) and went back to sleep. I awoke at 3 a.m. to a throbbing headache which penetrated from behind the eyes and up and around and all over. I tried to sleep. It didn't happen. I just lay there with my head thumping and bumping, and a few coughs for good measure. 5 a.m. Still awake. Completely miserable. Went to the couch. Got back up and took some medicine. Back to the cough. I curled up into a ball and moaned for a good 15 minutes. Then I started to shiver. That is the first sign for me. Yes, the sign that I'm about to vomit. So I go the sink and try my best to force it, but nothing happens. For about 20 minutes I go from the floor to the sink trying to make something happen. Nothing, which feels even worse. Head still throbbing. And finally I do the deed. Wipe the face, rinse the mouth, and happily climb into the floor bed. Rest at long last.

Today was much better. I still had some residuals of the headache this morning, but after lunch the stuffiness was gone. I am STILL coughing after one and a half weeks, but not all the time. Felt good enough for a run tonight. It was nice at the soccer complex, and rightly so at -70- degrees. I was sweating! That's different. First 4 miles were stiff and the calves were yelling at me for letting them think they had gone back to sedentary life. Sorry fellas. After that things went well. The only issue was the forefoot, mostly the right, but a little on the left. That same old toe pain. This time it was more pronounced as it being forefoot though. Instead of the side of the toe, it was more of the middle of the forefoot on landing/pushoff. I think I need different shoes, or to buy some inserts for extra forefoot cushion. It was painful, but not enough to keep me from running. Looking into new socks as well, although tonight I had nike elite cushion ones, so I don't think that is it. Hopefully I can get it minimalized. Then I can at least make it another few months through the half and take time off after that if needed.

13(14.5)miles. 65 degrees. GM 235

No comments: