Tuesday, March 17, 2009

3.17.09

I wasn't sure what to expect tonight. I had hoped to meet up with some other runners, but there was only one other runner guy, a few walkers, and a couple students. I was about to talk to the guy after my workout but he left before I was finished and I didn't get a chance.

The workout went well considering I haven't done speedwork for a while. I was breathing pretty hard especially on the 3rd and 4th laps, but still I wasn't really going top speed. I just didn't have the coordination. I really need to be working on that -> running drills, quick feet, striders to be precise. Like I said though the workout was fine and I was surprised to even be running as fast as I was to be honest. Didn't wear the spikes tonight, stuck with the shoes I'll be racing in. They are so torn up already (the tread).Image and video hosting by TinyPic
So it looks like they don't have too many racing days left in em already. That's okay though - I needed a new pair of trainers and I'll just start using them for everday running. I'm not 100% on that though. I think I'll see how they're doing after the marathon, then decide. I don't like spending 85$ on shoes for a single race and less than 100 miles - that's just silly to me.

Anyway after the three repeat miles (with 2 running laps and 1 walking inbetween) I did an 800. That thing nearly blew up my calves and hams, so I figured it would be best to stop there for the fast stuff. I decided to try a "test pace" mile, where I would go at a comfortable rate that I felt like I could hold for a while. The first ended up being around 6:20, and the second was probably the same, but I didn't catch the time. So that is great! If i can hold a 6:30 that will get me a pretty decent marathon time, and If there's anything left toward the end in the last 6 miles I might be able to pick up the pace a few seconds.

I am nervous. I've been really anxious the past few days when i think about the marathon. I'm not sure why, but my heart starts beating faster and I kind of have to shake off the nerves. I think it's just that I haven't raced for a while, so really anything could happen. I'm a little afraid of totally bonking too. I've put in some really hard work though and at this point I just have to be confident and let what happens happen. My main goal is to enjoy the marathon, have fun, and do my best, hopefully all three. I'll do my best NOT to check the weather constantly in the next week, because there's nothing I can do about that. I'll be running hard no matter what day we are blessed with. Okay enough rambling. I've got other things to do. Like sleep.

5:25 pm. track. 69 degrees 5mph wind 35%humidity (warmer)
3x1600 w/1200m recovery 1x800 2x1600 @6:20-6:30
1:03:09, (10.00) fasttwitch 18

No comments: