Friday, August 7, 2009

8.7.09

I once thought heat was the worst part of the summer, but I was wrong. It is bugs. This is three runs in a row where I've had a bug fly directly into my eye. This one crawled around in my tearduct and I could not get it out. Eventually after stopping, hunched over in the middle of the road, I was able to excavate a head of the flying larva, but I'm not sure If I got the rest out or not. I took a short detour to the house and rinsed my eye out, but it was still stinging. Did I mention I had to surgically remove a bug about the size of a dime from April's eye the other day when we went running? Well I did, I now I feel very strongly that I am a qualified eye doctor when it comes to getting bugs out of your eye. The culprits are these little ant-like creatures, bigger than ants and of course have wings and fly in menacing packs. It's probably comical to see me running by, using both my hands in a windshield-wiper motion, while keeping my mouth sealed and eyes half open to avoid ingestion or otherwise catching them in my liquid fly-trap eyeballs.

So add bugs to the list of reasons to enjoy the cold of winter. Other than that stop I also stopped a few more times to get water. The world was against me today it seemed with two weather warnings: one for heat and humidity (90º today with high pressure) and another for an orange level air quality (yay) I wasn't sure if I'd even be able to breath. But I got out there, and even after the bug attack at 5.6 miles and my ipod thinking the run was over and ending the workout, I continued on for the remaining 28 minutes, so things seem to be rolling along. Fact: This week I've ran higher mileage than previous weeks in the past two months.

bf 1567

No comments: