Monday, April 16, 2007

nice monday

60 degrees windy, shorts/t, silver shoes

After a terrible weekend, it was back to the grind at school. Normally this is a bad thing, but not today. It was already nice by 3 and I was itching for a run. I got home, had some leftovers and then watched a movie before heading out. Yesterday was supposed to be a long run, so I thought I'd make up for it today and go 11. The first mile was pretty rough, my knees and calves were tight and nothing seemed to be flowing. Even the second mile wasn't all that great. It was mostly from walking all the kids to the office today. I had hall duty during testing and walked at least 3 kids to and from the office, which is a good quarter mile walk. Stupid stuff, just refusing to take the test or singing out loud or running their mouths. I also walk the kids down the "hill" afterschool. Many teachers think this is just the little 20ft ramp that goes up to the school, but it's actually past that all the way down to the main road to the crossing guard- again another quarter mile or more on a steep incline. Needless to say my calves were already feeling tired at the beginning of the run.

So I finally got into my pace once I hit the track, it's paved but always seems to get me in the zone for some reason. I ran my usual out and backs- into a strong headwind from the west which drug me down, but I have been powering through wind with my arms lately, so it wasn't a problem. At 8 miles I turned back to go home and get some water. There I got a quick drink and was just going to put in a few more miles....but once I got to 11 I thought heck I'm just going to run 12, I'm not tired. So I did, then I thought a half mile back home, might as well run that. 12.5, why not just run a half-marathon today. So I ran extra around the parking lot, which winds around so there are many routes and finished up at 13.3 miles today. My knees paid the price and I walked a good mile afterward just to warm down.

There weren't as many hills as my first half-m, and it wasn't raining, but i clocked a 1:45:53. I wasn't really pushing, my lowest mile was 7:39, and the first lap was actually the slowest 8:45. The thing that sucks is on the display there is a time at each mile point, like 8:45, 7:39, etc- which I'm pretty sure are averages. If they are it's harder to tell how fast you've run individual miles.

mon-13.3 miles 7:56 avg pace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW and again I say WOW. That is awesome. I thought I was doing well for playing 1 1/2 hours of tennis last night when my legs were sore from lifting but you sir are hard core. I hope you feel fine today. Nice drive.