Tuesday, November 25, 2008

11.25.08

Interesting day. When I first started walking around this morning I thought I was healed!, as my foot didn't hurt. But after walking around work for a while, it definitely wasn't the case. Still the pain isn't so bad as it was. I decided to do another test run tonight. It was dark by the time I got home, but I didn't care and went to the park anyway. The park is dangerous. The sidewalk is cracked in many places, there are low hanging ropes and fences and plenty of holes to fall in or trip over. Either way I kept my strides short.

At first it seemed like I had forgotten how to run. I mean I was doing it, but I really had to think about it. Kind of weird. But that wore off after a few minutes and before I knew it I was heading around the five or six soccerfields that are next to each other at the back of the park. There is a gate that separates this area from the rest of the park, which has a small drive with parking inbetween, and two more soccerfields with a "track" paved around those. It is a good place to run because the grass is mostly flat, and of course soft turf is great for a foot injury like the one I have. It must be some sort of sprain? I'm still not sure how it happened. I must have rolled it or stumbled or something and forgotten, but I'm still clueless as to what I did on that treadmill to create this nagging pain.

Last night I did some calf raises, the whole deal and I think that helped somehow. It's great to be able to do that, because I'm building strength in my calves, and since I'm on my toes there is no risk of hurting the injured area. For the majority of the run, my foot pain wasn't even noticeable. But by the end I started to feel it, especially when I got off the soccerfields and back onto the pavement. Still, it wasn't bad at all. The only reason I don't want to run on it is just more of a precaution so I don't further or prolong the injury. Otherwise I'm perfectly capable of running on it.

So I'm just happy to get a run in. It felt great and I think as I don't push too early, the foot will heal to %100 and I'll be ready to get back into full training. My next goal is one hill workout every week, and considering where I've been doing my long runs, I think I'll be ready for it.

5:45 pm. ball camp park. 40 degrees
1:13:00, gm 549

No comments: