Monday, May 18, 2009

5.18.09

Not exactly what I had in mind for today, but a pretty good quality workout nonetheless. April has set a goal to do workout for 14 days in a row. I think it's a great goal. Anyway she wanted to go to the soccer complex with me today and run a bit. So I of course obliged, although if it were up to me I would have went to the track. In any case it was an easy compromise and I was going to make it work. Well the hard part about the complex is that it's fairly hilly. There are sort of some flat parts, but whichever direction you run, you are going to have to face a few hills. I chose the path of least resistance, as well as chose a few landmarks so I would at least have some idea of the distance I was going for future reference. I picked a bench just at the top of the large downhill, if for no other reason than it is a landmark. Steep downhill, gradual, then back up a moderate climb, and then a gradual downgrade for actually a good stretch, ending with a slightly steep uphill climb. That was my "track" 1200 for today.

Unfortunately I decided not to bring my stopwatch and just use my ipod - which is always a mistake because I can never remember the time I started running at after a few reps. Was it 20:30 or 23:30. So basically I only remember the last rep which was 35:30 to 40 minutes. I was cooking pretty good on the first and last intervals, with the middle one kind of being a I'm-not-so-sure how fast I'm going type of deal. They felt fast though and I was working hard. The other bad part was accidentally hitting my Heart Monitor button after the workout, bam, there goes that data. If I had to take a guess I remember looking only once and seeing like 182 or something, but who knows. So in a funny way today was kind of a fartlek since I really have no idea of how fast I was actually going haha.

My left hip was sore today. The hams were fine, but it feels like I got hit on the side of my butt by a baseball bat, although I don't remember that happening. Thankfully I decided today would be my last workout for this week. Supposedly you need 6-8 days for a workout to reap benefits. I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, but I'll go ahead and call it a week. I still plan on doing some sharpening - 200's 400's maybe Wed. as well as some striders so the legs will still have some speed on them. I do know one thing, I feel in pretty mean shape after the workouts this past month. I was breathing good and the legs were responding. I'm excited going into this next race, I really believe I have trained okay this time around and can put a good effort forward.

6:07pm. soccer complex. missed weather- update tomorrow. (cool, windy)
3x(1200)top bench to post @4:30 w/hill jog recovery
49:20(7.64) gf 701
MHR 183?

No comments: