Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas Again

Went to the Wireman's for Christmas. I was going to run today before we left, but after church we went out to eat so there was no time. Not running isn't a bad thing, especially when family is the reason behind it, but still it feels counterproductive. The only person to blame is myself. If I had got to sleep earlier or took my lunch home, etc. etc. I would have gotten it in. Is one run really that big of a deal? No, but I don't like making excuses for lack of training.

It's funny that other people, my wife included, see me wanting to run as some sort of decision over family or relationships. That simply isn't true and no matter how hard I try to justify it to them the reason is never good enough. My goals and aspirations aren't cared about by most others. The facts are to be a good athlete you have to prioritize, you have to work hard, you have to follow through. I am the one with goals and so it is up to me to set those into motion and make sure they happen. Everyone else has other agendas and motives that can interfere with my own. Finding the balance is key; when do I sacrifice something for running, and what could be the consequences. I was very humble after I let the day go and moved on. There is no point in arguing with someone about a run. In fact that's probably the most detrimental thing that could happen for a runner because it associates negative connotations to the run and will probably result in future confrontations with other runs.

So an unscheduled rest day. I'm glad I spent it with my family and it was a good day for recovery and reflection. I would have loved to get a quick run in, but you can't always get what you want.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Speaking as someone who stamped her foot a couple days ago and was like
no i want it my way.... that was very mature of you. way to be grown up.
Hope you got to run today. happy New Year!