Friday, December 14, 2007

cold again

A nice sunny day today, but the weather is starting to feel like fall again. Well at least fall to me, everyone else save a few seem to think it's freezing. Got out to the complex tonight for a run of 6-8 miles. Wasn't real sure how far I'd go, but figured I would see how I felt. Shorts and longsleeve were fine at first, but after the sun went down and the wind picked up it was pretty cold on one half of the course. Started off feeling okay. I have been running fairly hard lately and no real side effects have shown up other than a few more giant blisters and the toe next to the bad one isn't looking that great either. The ankle is still tender if it's bent the wrong way, but doesn't hurt otherwise. The connection where the achilles and the heel meet is always tight, especially at the beginning of runs. That is normally why my first mile is around 8 minutes. I haven't checked my run, but I figure it'll be the same.

Counted laps tonight. Nobody to compete with, but there were plenty to pass. Worked on form a lot, especially turn over, which really got me through the first 3-4 miles. They were the hard ones, after that I was warmed up and flowing along. I want good form, but I honestly think I'll need a coach to teach it. I've read plenty of books and researched it and they all say the same the thing, but whether or not I'm doing those things I have no idea. I feel like I am running nice a smooth, but I could be wrong. At mile 6 things started to get rough from the cold and I considered just ending it there, but I pressed on and finished up the whole run with 8 laps which is 9 miles. A lot of fun though.

Breathing was hardly noticeable until the end when I picked it up. Hills were fast down, and lots of quick steps up. Probably why my knees were throbbing when I got in the car. I decided to walk on the treadmill when i got home for that reason, as well as it was just too cold to walk into that wind for my cooldown. So a half-mile there and 10 minutes at home. Pace was fine. I am amazed at how well I feel while running. I am trying to read back and see if it felt this "easy" before the summer layoff. Probably another 8 miles or so tomorrow, I'm really getting the miles up this week.

9(9.75)miles. 50-42 degrees chilly and windy. SM 363

No comments: