Wednesday, December 5, 2007

easy run, good pace

A nice 5 miles around the neighborhood. Tonight I took it easy. It was surprising to see my time after the run because it felt a lot slower. I kept a pretty easy pace the entire time. I actually was hoping for a slower time, it felt like maybe close to 8 minute miles. The wind didn't help matters a good 15-20 mph coming from the southwest. That made for a little bit more effort on some stretches, but the worst part was it was sprinkling right into my face. I felt a few drops when I went out the door, waited a few minutes and nothing, so then I just went for it. It sprinkled very light off and on, so no problem.

It was around 44 degrees when I got out, and that felt about right. The wind made it a little colder but I felt warm. I've been wearing gloves the past few runs and that has helped. My ankle didn't hurt today, except for the turnarounds. I think that is where I pulled it, on one of my many turns in the cul de sac. I take it really easy now, but before I just had to turn around fairly quickly, which is hard to do at even a medium pace. I hate that we have no sidewalks. In my 3 mile loop I turn around 11 times, with all but one of those being sharp turns. Needless to say that is ample opportunity to overstress something.

I never had that problem before because of all the long sidewalks, and actually no sharp turns that I can ever remember. That is what I miss the most, a place to run that has lots of options and sidewalks that go through endless neighborhoods. I'm pretty much confined here, since the main road out of our subdivision is always busy and barely has ditches on either side. Plus it's curvy and who knows what could happen. When I get up around 16-18 mile runs (very soon) I will have to drive to roads that have sidewalks and run from there. I also have some trips to local areas with trails to check out as well. I will be fine, and am really looking forward to those runs.

The run felt easy today, despite the 7:38 pace. Ankle seems to be on the mend too.

5(6.25)miles. 44-42 degrees windy. GM 17

No comments: