Saturday, November 3, 2007

Consistency

While I run I always think of things. It's funny that not much thought goes into the run while I'm actually running. I just sort of look at things and think about what I want to do. Today I was thinking about this past summer and how I didn't run. I am not mad about it, but I can't imagine how much farther I would be with my running. I updated my training log yesterday and I guess I was mulling over it while running today. If I can stay consistent by the time the next half comes around I should be able to cut 10 minutes off my time. Considering last years lack of good base or any speed training at all I am desperately looking forward to it. I'm really only worried about rain getting me off course. If it does I'm pretty much stuck since there isn't even a treadmill I can use anymore. I will have to really work hard on those days to do enough to suffice for missing a longer run.

My base seems like it is coming along fine. I'm afraid I increase the speed my legs won't be able to handle it and I'll end up taking unwanted and unnecessary rest days. Yesterday was a 3 miler that should have happened. At the same time my legs needed rest and yesterday provided that. Today's run was very smooth. I had my lighter shoes on and I could really tell a difference. It is just easier to get the feet of the ground.

Since yesterday fell through I penciled in 4 for today. Well as usual 4 was too little, so I ran some extra to make up for not only yesterday and then a little more for the sensors innacuracy. The path there is supposed to be 1.1 miles, but I think it's more like 1.25. There's really no way to be sure but it would make the laps easier to count. Like for instance today I did 4 laps. If they are 1.25 then it would be an even 5 mile run.

Blisters and knee pain have not been a factor. I am so happy about that. I was reading through my old posts and i had a blister every other day it seemed. I know it is due to taking it easier on my runs, as well as having got my shoes pretty worn. I have noticed a lack of supplementary exercise though. I had a place for tri's/abs/chest in my calendar and have seen little effort in those areas. I think I'm going to have to make it a point to do those things in addition to my run.

The clocks turn back tonight. Yay another hour I'll be able to run at night, it's about time. Tommorow is my long run of .....drum roll....6 miles! I set up the schedule to alternate a "short" long run every other week. Galloway suggest this and I think alternating a long mile week with a short one makes perfect sense. But I'm realizing now that I may have to increase my long runs sooner than I thought due to my conditioning level being surprisingly high. I did make up the schedule in a way that would make it non-stressful, but with the way I've been running I may have made it a little too easy. So I'll ponder that in the coming week and adjust next sundays from 8 to 9 or 10 if it seems like I'm ready for it.

5 miles. sunset 60 degrees with a little wind. grey shoes

2 comments:

Ann said...

It is hard to stop and remember to work the core as much as anything else. I'm struggling with that. You use your core a lot for dancing but I'm doing so much with footwork and stamina that I keep forgetting to go spend time at the gym and strengthen my core.

Ron said...

That reminds me of an episode of the office. Michael starts talking about working out and mentions he keeps his core in shape. "my arm core, my hip region core, my neck core... even the Marine core does these workouts."

haha