Saturday, November 17, 2007

Turkey Trot

30 degrees to start the day. Waking up wasn't a problem. I actually got to sleep in a few minutes compared to normal. I already had most everything laid out. Everything went as planned. I forgot about keys though. To lock my car I'd need to carry them with me. That wasn't a problem though because my shorts had a key pocket built in. I borrowed April's iskin. I was debating whether or not to take it, but I'm glad I did. We got there and the parking lot was totally full. That slightly irritated me, but walmart was actually closer so we found a spot where someone had just pulled out. I changed into my running gear and started jogging. April went to walmart to use the bathroom. The start line was a short walk from where we parked, awesome.

It was cold out, and actually felt warmer as I got out in it and took a few jogs around the parking lot. I was feeling great. After a short prayer and the national anthem it was time to start the race. It was kind of like a "set, go" kind of start where they just sort of throw it on you real quick. I was toward the front, but behind plenty of people. That was fine. I know how these races start, everyone just takes off and the weak get burned off in a mile. So off we go. I'm turning over pretty fast and by 200 meters it sinks in that this isn't the pace I'm used to. But I press on. Should I stride out or quicken my feet? Still wasn't sure about the ankle. No problems so far, but should I push it?

I didn't. I stayed behind people and let them fall behind. I only ran on my own until I found a new person. I worked my way up, but could see quite a few people still ahead. Mile 1 - jibberish:45. That's either 5:45 or 6:45. I asked the guy next to me, he said some jibberish too since he was too tired to talk. I took off anyway and increased the pace slightly, testing the ankle out. I see a few new people and keep churning out the pace, still within my level.

At 2 miles I hear a clear 13:30. Dang, I'm 30 seconds behind. So I push it, but not too much faster. We go around the bend and I can see the finish line way in the distance. A guy is running with me and we're doing fine, I go ahead of him. A short time later he passes me. I stay on him. A half a mile or less now and the Finish Banner is growing. I pick it up. Everyone around me is too. 3 miles, pick it up a li
ttle more. Remember the ankle, hold back a little. Look at the clock, finished. I walk for a few seconds, then jog. I'm feeling fine. I could run another one if I had too.

20:45 or so finish. Didn't reach my goal but the best thing of all was my ankle held up with no pain. That is so much better than reaching a time goal. I forgot to click my ipod when I finished, but as you can tell, it's pretty obvious where the finish line was. Also, check out the consistency (each mile was faster than the previous)


3 miles. 32 degrees. grey

2 comments:

Ann said...

Dang you are the man. Way to go Ron!

Ron said...

thanks. I'm looking forward to the next race. I'll be looking for one in January just to keep me on track.