Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Split Runs

An abrupt beeping sound this morning wasn't the most motivating experience one can have just after awaking from a deep sleep. My eyes wanted to stay shut and I fought with myself on whether or not to wake. I don't need to run, it's probably raining. I could take a day off. I'm too tired tired to run this early. After struggling for 5 minutes I decided I was already awake and there was no use sleeping another 30 minutes.

Step 2. I felt groggy and tried to get all my gear together. I luckily had laid it all out last night and that wasn't too hard. Unfortunately I overcompensated for the 42 degrees the weatherman predicted last night. I had a turtleneck, gloves, shorts, and undershirt and my headband. If it had been an easy run that would have been fine. But for some odd reason waking up revived some old habit deep within to get up and go.

First mile was pretty fast. Again my ankles were saying ouch, but as usual that went away by a half mile. I trucked up the double-H huge hill and managed around a 7:30 first mile. Pretty fast considering how large that hill is and the fact I had not a care in the world how fast I was going. Second mile was faster. Parents were taking their kids to the bus stop and I was carefully running around and past them. Last mile I was breathing fairly hard, but my legs were cooperating and I could feel I had a lot left. I held it back a notch but kept the pace I had found. I checked the time. If I run the last mile fast I can get back just before my alarm clock would normally go off (after the snooze). So I kept the pace and got a feel for how the race might be Saturday. I ended well, but was very sweaty from the extra clothes, headband, and the pace I kept. It was a nice run. It felt good to go faster after about a month of slow running.

So I get home from work. Read "scattered t-storms" and was out the door again :)

This time I got a two miler in and figured I'd try the faster pace, but again stepped in down a notch. Ankles hurt at start, but I was back into a rhythm in no time. Finished those 2 and then decided to jog an extra mile. The "jog" turned out to be a test pace run averaging around 6:45. So all in all today was a great day with some nice "speedwork". I don't think I'll be doing this anymore though. The real reason I was going fast was due to the time in the morning, but later I had no reason other than to test pace. I can see how the longer and slower runs are helping me build up. If I stay on track I'll be fine come the end of March.

6:30am 3 miles. 48 degrees and wet. light grey
4:30pm 2 and 1.2 miles. 56 degrees and warm. light grey

2 comments:

Ann said...

Hmm I had that same thing. The alarm went off and I really didn't want to get up and do things. So today I didn't. Of course this might be do to my runny nose but still at the end of the day I wish I had gone your way. :)

Ron said...

Had this been a year ago, there's no way I would have made it. The motivation for me to get out there is greater than it has ever been. Including high school...and you know how much I loved track/cross country in HS. :)