Sunday, November 25, 2007

Fakeout

I got up early for a Sunday. I went to sleep at a normal time, so I figured 7-8, but it was closer to 9 when I finally rolled out. It was okay though because I still had plenty of time to get ready. I am starting to think about planning for the race. That means going through all the motions I would normally go through on race day. Not only will that help prepare me mentally, but physically my body will be used to the routine by the time the race is here. I'm working into it slowly though.

So I got up later than I wanted, no breakfast today. I had to get out pretty quickly as the weather channel and weather people said 9-11 no rain. I figured two hours would be plenty of time for my planned long run as well as a little cool down. It was in the lower 40's this morning. I wore my normal gear (shorts, longsleeve with undershirt, headband) which felt quite comfortable, but ditched gloves. I also opted for a single of pair of socks. I got some better ones with more cushion and better fabric. I had tried doubling it, but my feet felt cramped and I didn't want to develop further blisters from having my shoes too tight. Grabbed a banana, waterbottle, and out the door.

It was cloudy today, but not very windy. I started the run slowly feeling my way as I went. No pains were noticeable enough to mention. I counted laps today. I normally loose track, but I stayed on task and made sure. That is quite hard to do over many miles on a course that repeats itself at 1.1 miles. There were plenty of people to pass. They all seemed to hear what the weather said too. The miles went by quick enough. I just tried to be relaxed and that helped. I've done a better job of going slower lately. At 3 miles my headband was sweaty, so I took it off and held it, switching hands every so often. Round and round, and round and round, still more laps to go. Counting and trying to run "smoothly". The winds starting to pick up at 8, so I put my headband back on. It felt a lot colder for some reason. Finally lap 11 came around. A final lap would put me well over 12 miles (11.11, plus a few hundred meters to the start) So I decided to go around it again.

The major difference in today's run was the incline. Normally because I am running faster that thing slows me way down. Today I kept the same pace on the hills as regular, but my legs felt fine running up them. There is usual a gradual tiredness that builds from running up that thing so many times, but it was a non-factor today. So I finished the run at a nice n' easy pace. The only major thing was my bandaid came off my toe around 7 miles, and for the next 1-1.5 that blister wasn't feeling good at all. Also at the end of my run my knees were a tiny bit achy. But really what else can you expect from running 12 miles? I ate my banana and drank my water and walked a good 1.5-2 miles cooldown. I had to stop by the car to get my gloves. I think a cold-wind was sweeping through and my hands felt like they were freezing off. It could have just been from starting walk, but it just felt colder. Oh yeah, the weather guys were off, it hasn't rained and it's almost 3 in the afternoon. Silly meteorologists. It does look like rain, I'll give them that much.

Right on track. I am doing some math on differences between my training last year and this year. I will try and include that somewhere when I work it out.

12(13.5)miles. 42 degrees. silver

No comments: