Friday, November 16, 2007

Pug Alert!

I can't believe it's already Friday. This week seems to have flown by. I guess it's because next week is thanksgiving, and a half week at school. Today was an easy run. I didn't want to go to fast. I also had to go pick up our packets for the race tomorrow so I needed to get out as soon as I got home. I managed to get everything together and get out the door. I stayed what I thought was rather slow. The ipod sensor didn't seem to think so though. I think it may have been rattling around in my shoe because I was running like 6:35 pace and I wasn't even trying. I swear I was going slow, so who knows what's going on with that. I guess I'll find out at the race.

So things were going normal, I had just hit mile 2 and was running around the neighborhood as usual. I always hear dogs barking, but rarely see any outside that aren't on chains or being walked. So I was running into a cul de sac and at the end I see two dogs sitting in the lawn. They didn't bark or anything. As I rounded the end I run back past them and see out of the corner of my eye two moving objects coming at me. I was like, are you serious. It was two fat pugs with short little stubby legs. They took off after me. I ran through the options in my head. Basketball instincts kicked in and split second decisions were being made. I could run faster and just outrun the ugly-faced pooches, I could slow down and see if they left, or I could stop completely. Haha! I chose #1. Yeah, I've never seen tiny little dog legs move so fast in my life. It looked like the cartoons where the road runners legs are just one complete circle. Only this time there were four circles. It looked like dogs on wheels, I kid you not.

I realized quickly option #1 was a bad idea. The fatties caught up with me (I didn't go full speed). I almost tripped over one because he ran up on my leg and I jumped over him. I was kind of scared he might bite me too. Not that he could have done a lot of damage, but who wants to be bit by a dog? Not me.
I realized I'd have to stop so I stood there and pointed my finger and yelled "get out of here you crazy dogs!". They got scared and turned back when they realized I meant business. So that was an exciting adrenaline rush speedburst that was completely unnecessary. The thing that sucked the most was my ankle was flared up again today and the incident certainly didn't help matters. The pain is right around the bottom of the achilles. It stayed the whole run, but again it was a nagging pain that only hurt after every push off.

I ended the run earlier than I wanted to. I figured I wasted enough energy in that 10 seconds of dogchase than I would on a normal easy run.

3 (3.75) miles. 49 degrees chased by dogs. light grey

No comments: